Long Distance Services FAQs

These are the most frequently asked questions about the University's long distance service, billing (invoicing) and credits.

Who is our Long Distance Carrier?

The University of Louisville is in contract with CBTS for long distance services.  Domestic long distance is included as part of phone service at no charge.  International long distance phone service is charged to departments.

What is an ELD Code?

An ELD code is an authorization code that allows one to make international calls from university phone lines.

How do I get an ELD code?

Your department must request an authorization code be assigned to you. The department must complete a work order with your name and the PeopleSoft Speed type (GLA) to charge.

Can we share codes?

Absolutely not. No authorization codes should ever be shared. Each employee authorized by the department to make long distance calls should have their own personal code. This procedure will minimize abuse and misuse. However, should a department insist on sharing codes they will assume full responsibility for any abuse or misuse and will NOT receive any credit for the charges.

Can I get an ELD code for my graduate or work study student?

It is not recommended that students be given authorization codes, nor should they know or use a code assigned to anyone else in the department. Students cannot use the authorization code from their residence hall phones, however, there have been numerous occasions where they have used ELD codes to make international calls from various University phones all over campus. The ELD authorization code is for administrative use (faculty and staff). It is recommended that students not use ELD codes, however, should a department insist, a code will be assigned with the notation that the department is NOT to receive credit for any abuse on this code. When assigning an ELD code to a student the department assumes all responsibility for all abuse.

I have frequent employee changes; do I have to cancel the ELD codes and request new ones?

If an employee has departed services from the University, you may continue using that ELD code and simply request a name change. If the employee has gone to another University department, that employee may keep the code and send in a request to change the speedtype (GLA) being charged; however, a department has the right to have any code deleted if an employee is no longer authorized in their department to make long distance calls.

Can I use my ELD code anywhere?

ELD codes can be used from any UofL campus (Belknap, HSC, or Shelby) from virtually any University phone (except security and campus-only lines).

Can I make calls from home using my ELD code?

No. The recommended practice is to make the calls and have them charged to your home phone then have your department reimburse you.

What is call detail?

Call Detail is a record of your calls for a specific period. You will have call detail for all calls made from university lines. The bill detail for all your ELD calls and any other billable calls can be found online through the BI system.

The calls detailed on my bill are not my calls, what do I do?

You need to report this to the Telephone coordinator or Unit Business Manager in your department who can contact ITS Network and Telecom if needed.

What if I have questions about my charges?

If you have any concerns or questions regarding your telephone services, you should contact ITS Network & Telecom Customer Support at 852-5145. You may also send an email to karin.tyler@louisville.edu .

How far can you credit back billing errors?

Calls are generally processed from the first day to the last day of the month. All detail should be reviewed by the department when reports are ready online (via the BI system). Any discrepancies and/or errors should be reported to ITS Network & Telecom Customer Support immediately. Errors will only be credited back one-month in most cases.